Conifer Professional Bonsai Soil Mix - Premium Blend
SuperFly Bonsai's Coniferous Bonsai Soil Mix - Premium Blend
This mix is a variant of the most commonly used and accepted mix by bonsai professionals around the world. Here in the United States it is known as "Boons Mix" after Boon Manakitivipart. We modified this to meet the needs of conifer bonsai trees such as pine, juniper and other conifers. This is an ALP style mix.
Is It Dirt?
No. Bonsai trees do not like "dirt" and will in most cases die if left in dirt over long periods of time. This is substrate.
What Is In It?
The primary components are Kiryu, Akadama, Pumice and Black Lava. We also added a bit of Horticultural Charcoal. These components have been found over time to provide the best drainage, water retention, nutrient retention and air circulation possible to promote healthy bonsai.
- 1/4 Japanese Kiryu - is a very hard substrate that absorbed some water. Kiryu does not break down and assists in drainage.
- 1/4 Japanese Hard Akadama - is a clay like component that is excellent at retaining water and it breaks down allowing roots to grown in it's place.
- 1/4 Japanese Hyuga Pumice - is a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining water and nutrients.
- 1/4 USA Black Lava Rock - is also a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining moisture. Black lave also adds structure to the soil.
- Horticultural Charcoal -This was added to harbor beneficial bacteria and add humic acid in the soil.
This is very important in a soil mix. This blend is sized from 1/16" to about 1/4" in size. This allows air to the roots while maintaining moisture needed by deciduous trees.
How Do I Use It?
This is "real" bonsai soil. Be sure your bonsai pot has holes in the bottom covered by bonsai mesh.
Each micro climate may require different amounts of water. On hot days you may need to water two times while around freezing you may need to water every few weeks. Push your finger 1" into the soil and feel for moisture. If it is dry, it is time to water.
1.25 Qt = @ 6 Cups
- Pre Mixed & Ready To Use - Sifted Prior To Bagging - 1/4 Japanese Kiryu - 1/4 Hard Japanese Akadama - 1/4 Japanese Pumice - 1/4 USA Sourced Black Lava - A Bit of Horticultural Charcoal
- Promotes Excellent Drainage & Water Retention - Specifically formulated for Coniferous Bonsai Like Pine, Juniper, Spruce, Cedar, Yew and other Conifers
- Non-Organic Mix - This mix is "real" bonsai soil and is made up of primarily non-organic components (no dirt, bark, mulch, etc.). This is really substrate. This has been found to provide optimal drainage, water retention, nutrient uptake and air to the roots (which they love).
- Easy Zip Resealable Bag (1.25 and 2.5 Quart) - Simply tear off the top then reseal the easy to close resealable bag over and over until you are ready to re-order soil.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not 100% happy with this product, we will refund you in full.
Use to make my own that worked very well but its a big hassle to make yourself. First time I have purchased some already made. Very good quality and blend of materials. Low dust and small particles. Very uniform size. 13 quart bag was enough for my 2 - 14"x10"x3.7" with some left over. Don't know about long term yet, time will tell.
Superfly's soil is by far the best premix I have ever used.
Fairly priced, good aggregate size and well sifted. I was surprised at the minimal amount of dust. Great service all the way around!
This soil mix is exceptional for Bonsai trees, allowing space for oxygen and including needed nutrients.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase from Superfly Bonsai, simply visit our returns center to get started. Items must be returned at your expense. If you beleive that we messed up somehow please let us know and we will evaluate the situation on a case by case basis. When a return is authorized simply send the product back in sellable condition for a full refund of the product price.
Visit our Returns Center to start a return.
We utilize several different carriers to provide accurate shipping rates. Rates are calculated by distance, weight and package dimensions. A custom shipping quote will be provided in the shipping section during checkout.
How Long Does It Take To Ship?
In most cases we ship the same or following business day. During peak season (March - May) it could take a day or two longer, especially for orders placed after noon on Fridays. We do our best to geat all orders out as fast as possible.
How Long Will It Take To Get Here?
If you are paying for your own shipping, the amount of days will be listed when you choose your shipping preference at checkout. If you reached our Free Shipping Minimum, we will ship the lowest cost method. This usually takes 1-5 business days plus our handling time of 1-2 business days. An email will be sent when your order ships with tracking information.
Superfly Bonsai currently offers Free Shipping for All Retail orders over $99.00
Plants & Tree Shipping:
We ship bonsai trees and plants from either our parnter nursery or our in house nursery depending on the tree. We may limit when we ship trees to help limit their exposure to extreme environments. For example we may not ship if it will cause the tree to sit in a truck over a weekend or holiday in very low temperatures or very high temps.
If we are shipping from our Harrisburg, PA location, the tree may arrive via any carrier, but usually UPS or USPS. Time in transit will be 1-2 days in the northeast, 2-3 days in the southeast, 3-4 days in the midwest and usually 5 days for the west coast.
Trees are shipped in custom boxes made just for shipping trees. Sometimes we wrap the pot and soil in plastic to prevent it from spilling out in transit. Many times we use packing peanuts as they have proven to be very reliable in keeping trees safe in shipping. If a box is noticiably damaged, please take pictures prior to opening.
Please Note: We do not ship plants and trees to California