Deciduous Professional Bonsai Soil Mix - Premium Blend
SuperFly Bonsai's Professional Deciduous Bonsai Mix - Premium Blend
This mix is a variant of the most commonly used and accepted mix by bonsai professionals around the world. Here in the United States it is known as "Boons Mix" after Boon Manakitivipart. This mix has been modified to meet the needs of Deciduous Bonsai Trees such as Maple, Elm, Oak and others.
Is It Dirt?
No. Bonsai trees do not like "dirt" and will in most cases die if left in dirt over long periods of time. This is substrate.
What Is In It?
The primary components are Akadama, Pumice and Black Lava. We also added a bit of Horticultural Charcoal and Haydite. These components have been found over time to provide the best drainage, water retention, nutrient retention and air circulation possible to promote healthy bonsai.
- 1/2 Japanese Hard Akadama - is a clay like component that is excellent at retaining water and it breaks down allowing roots to grown in it's place.
- 1/4 Japanese Hyuga Pumice - is a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining water and nutrients.
- 1/4 USA Black Lava Rock - is also a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining moisture. Black lave also adds structure to the soil.
- Horticultural Charcoal -This was added to harbor beneficial bacteria and add humic acid in the soil.
- Haydite - (expanded shale) has the ability to absorb excess water then release it slowly back to the roots.
This is very important in a soil mix. This blend is sized from 1/16" to about 1/4" in size. This allows air to the roots while maintaining moisture needed by deciduous trees.
How Do I Use It?
This is "real" bonsai soil. Be sure your bonsai pot has holes in the bottom covered by bonsai mesh.
Each micro climate may require different amounts of water. On hot days you may need to water two times while around freezing you may need to water every few weeks. Push your finger 1" into the soil and feel for moisture. If it is dry, it is time to water.
2.5 Qt = @ 12 Cups
- Pre Mixed & Ready To Use - Sifted Prior To Bagging - 1/2 Hard Japanese Akadama - 1/4 Japanese Pumice - 1/4 USA Sourced Black Lava - A Bit of Horticultural Charcoal and Haydite
- Promotes Excellent Drainage & Water Retention - Specifically formulated for Deciduous Trees Include Maple, Elm, Beech, Hornbeam, Oak and Many More
- Non-Organic Mix - This mix is "real" bonsai soil and is made up of primarily non-organic components (no dirt, bark, mulch, etc.). This is really substrate. This has been found to provide optimal drainage, water retention, nutrient uptake and air to the roots (which they love).
- Easy Zip Resealable Bag (1.25 and 2.5 Quart Bags) - Simply tear off the top then reseal the easy to close resealable bag over and over until you are ready to re-order soil.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not 100% happy with this product, we will refund you in full.
I’m sticking with ordering bonsai soil from Superfly. Quality, consistency, good pricing.
This is by far the highest quality mix I have come across. You have a new customer for life.
Thanks a million!
Very pleased with my new pre soil mixture. It was delivered faster than I expected. Superfly Bonsai never let's me down with how well their products are. You have a new customer for life. Great job and can't beat the price and quality of this product.
My order arrived on time without a hitch, and was as described.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERSAsk a Question
Hello when would I put bonsai seedlings into bonsai soil ?
When you are happy with the size of the trunk and are ready to plant into a bonsai pot. The seedling should have several sets of leaves when you do this.
We utilize several different carriers to provide accurate shipping rates. Rates are calculated by distance, weight and package dimensions. A custom shipping quote will be provided in the shipping section during checkout.
In most cases we ship the same or following business day. If we are closed for an extended period we usually state that items will not ship until the date we return.
Superfly Bonsai currently offers Free Shipping for All Retail orders over $75.00
Plants & Tree Shipping:
We ship bonsai trees and plants from either our parnter nursery or our in house nursery depending on the tree. We may limit when we ship trees to help limit their exposure to extreme environments. For example we may not ship if it will cause the tree to sit in a truck over a weekend or holiday.
Many trees are shipped by Fedex from our partner nursery in the south central united states. Expect delivery to the West Coast to be 4-6 Business days via Fedex Ground. To the rest of the continental USA it will take 1-4 Business Days. Please contact us if faster shipping is needed.
If we are shipping from our Harrisburg, PA location, the tree may arrive via any carrier, but usually UPS or USPS. Delivery is the same as above as far as time in transit.
Trees are shipped in custom boxes made just for shipping trees. Sometimes we wrap the pot and soil in plastic to prevent it from spilling out in transit. Many times we use packing peanuts as they have proven to be very reliable in keeping trees safe in shipping. If a box is noticiably damaged, please take pictures prior to opening.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase from Superfly Bonsai, simply contact us to arrange a return. Items must be returned at your expense. If you beleive that we messed up somehow please let us know and we will evaluate the situation on a case by case basis. When a return is authorized simply send the product back in sellable condition for a full refund of the product cost.
1670 South Cameron Street
Harrisburg, PA 17104