We are seeking an experienced Nursery Manager to operate and further develop our nursery department. This role is responsible for overseeing all managerial functions including, but not limited to, hiring, training and supervising staff, ordering stock, and responding to customer inquiries. You will also be responsible for growing, maintaining, and propagating bonsai and pre-bonsai material.
To be a successful Nursery Manager, you should have extensive knowledge of horticulture and possess excellent managerial skills and a passion for customer service. Essentially, a great Nursery Manager should be able to operate and maintain a thriving nursery ecosystem and contribute to the success of the business.
Nursery Manager Responsibilities
Nursery Manager Requirements
- Manage the bonsai production process: growing, propagating, feeding, defoliation, pruning, wiring, pesticide, etc.
- Ensure proper plant growth and health
- Overseeing and improving the daily functions of the nursery
- Hiring, training, and supervising the nursery team
- Assigning duties and creating staff worklists to ensure all tasks are being completed correctly and in a timely fashion (ex: watering)
- Working with senior management to order nursery stock, pots, stones, fertilizers, shrubs, plants, trees, etc.
- Monitoring watering times, soil conditions, and plant positions
- Monitoring weather conditions and preparing accordingly
- Responding to customer requests and questions
- Inventorying, creating, and updating plant listings
- Assist with organizing nursery shows, exhibitions, and events
- Extensive knowledge of horticulture, plant production, soil, fertilizers, and growing techniques
- Knowledge of bonsai is a plus
- Excellent communication and managerial skills
- Intermediate computer skills and a passion for customer service
- Professional and courteous demeanor
- Responsible and punctual
- Familiarity with POS and Shopify a plus
Location: Floral City, Florida
Reports to: Bob Shoenfelt (Director of Operations, Floral City, FL)
Status: Full-Time, Exempt or Non-Exempt with occasional evening, holiday,
and weekend hours