Black Lava Bonsai Soil Substrate
SuperFly Bonsai's USA Sifted Black Lava
Black Lava is commonly used in bonsai as an additive to soils. While lava would be a pretty good medium to promote tree growth by itself as it drains very well, it is best to use it in a mix. Black lava will also help prevent soil compaction in your mix and give it structure.
Is It Dirt?
No. Bonsai trees do not like "dirt" and will in most cases die if left in dirt over long periods of time. This is substrate.
What Is In It?
USA Black Lava is a solidified molten rock that was formed after molten lave cooled from a volcano.
How Do I Use It?
Repot your bonsai tree in this mixed with other bonsai soil amendments (most common are akadama and pumice) to promote great moisture retention and drainage. Be sure your bonsai pot has holes in the bottom covered by bonsai mesh.
Each micro climate may require different amounts of water. On very hot/dry days you may need to water two/three times while around freezing you may need to water just once per month. Push your finger 1" into the soil and feel for moisture. If it is dry, it is time to water.
2.5 Qt = @ 12 Cups
1.25Qt = @ 6 Cups
Please Note: Do not breath the dust from lava as it is very abrasive and not good to get in your lungs or eyes. We sifted the majority of the dust out of the lava prior to bagging, however more will be created in the shipping process. It is recommended to utilize a dust mask whenever dealing with lava dust.
- Ready To Use - Sifted Prior To Bagging
- Promotes Excellent Drainage & Water Retention - This Lava is used by bonsai professionals around the world and has been found to drain well while holding the proper amount of moisture that bonsai need.
- This is high quality USA Lava that has been sifted to a uniform size.
- Easy Zip Resealable Bag for the 1.25 and 2.5 quart sizes - Simply tear off the top then reseal the easy to close resealable bag over and over until you are ready to re-order soil.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not 100% happy with this product, we will refund you in full.