Haydite Bonsai Soil Substrate
SuperFly Bonsai's USA Sourced Haydite
Haydite is commonly used in bonsai as soil for many different types of trees. You will find haydite in bonsai soil mixes as it helps allow air to the roots, prevent compaction and it retains water while releasing it slowly to the roots. Some use it in place of Akadama in soil mixes to keep costs down.
Is It Dirt?
No. Bonsai trees do not like "dirt" and will in most cases die if left in dirt over long periods of time. This is substrate.
What Is In It?
Haydite is produced by expanding and vitrifying selected shale in a rotary kiln at temperatures in excess of 2000°F. This haydite is sourced out of Ohio.
Repot your bonsai tree in this soil if your tree likes dry conditions or mix it with other bonsai soil amendments to create your own soil. Be sure your bonsai pot has holes in the bottom covered by bonsai mesh.
Each micro climate may require different amounts of water. On very hot/dry days you may need to water two/three times while around freezing you may need to water just once per month. Push your finger 1" into the soil and feel for moisture. If it is dry, it is time to water.
2.5 Qt = @ 12 Cups
1.25Qt = @ 6 Cups
- Ready To Use or Mix - Sifted Prior To Bagging
- Promotes Excellent Drainage - This haydite is used by bonsai professionals around the world and has been found to drain well while retaining moisture
- Excellent additive to bonsai soil mixes to help aerate the roots and prevent compaction
- Easy Zip Resealable Bag (1.25q and 2.5q bags) - Simply tear off the top then reseal the easy to close resealable bag over and over until you are ready to re-order soil.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not 100% happy with this product, we will refund you in full.