Deciduous Professional Bonsai Soil Mix - Premium Blend
SuperFly Bonsai's Professional Deciduous Bonsai Mix - Premium Blend
This mix is a variant of the most commonly used and accepted mix by bonsai professionals around the world. Here in the United States it is known as "Boons Mix" after Boon Manakitivipart. This mix has been modified to meet the needs of Deciduous Bonsai Trees such as Maple, Elm, Oak and others.
Is It Dirt?
No. Bonsai trees do not like "dirt" and will in most cases die if left in dirt over long periods of time. This is substrate.
What Is In It?
The primary components are Akadama, Pumice and Black Lava. We also added a bit of Horticultural Charcoal and Haydite. These components have been found over time to provide the best drainage, water retention, nutrient retention and air circulation possible to promote healthy bonsai.
- 1/2 Japanese Hard Akadama - is a clay like component that is excellent at retaining water and it breaks down allowing roots to grown in it's place.
- 1/4 Japanese Hyuga Pumice - is a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining water and nutrients.
- 1/4 USA Black Lava Rock - is also a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining moisture. Black lave also adds structure to the soil.
- Horticultural Charcoal -This was added to harbor beneficial bacteria and add humic acid in the soil.
- Haydite - (expanded shale) has the ability to absorb excess water then release it slowly back to the roots.
This is very important in a soil mix. This blend is sized from 1/16" to about 1/4" in size. This allows air to the roots while maintaining moisture needed by deciduous trees.
How Do I Use It?
This is "real" bonsai soil. Be sure your bonsai pot has holes in the bottom covered by bonsai mesh.
Each micro climate may require different amounts of water. On hot days you may need to water two times while around freezing you may need to water every few weeks. Push your finger 1" into the soil and feel for moisture. If it is dry, it is time to water.
2.5 Qt = @ 12 Cups
- Pre Mixed & Ready To Use - Sifted Prior To Bagging - 1/2 Hard Japanese Akadama - 1/4 Japanese Pumice - 1/4 USA Sourced Black Lava - A Bit of Horticultural Charcoal and Haydite
- Promotes Excellent Drainage & Water Retention - Specifically formulated for Deciduous Trees Include Maple, Elm, Beech, Hornbeam, Oak and Many More
- Non-Organic Mix - This mix is "real" bonsai soil and is made up of primarily non-organic components (no dirt, bark, mulch, etc.). This is really substrate. This has been found to provide optimal drainage, water retention, nutrient uptake and air to the roots (which they love).
- Easy Zip Resealable Bag (1.25 and 2.5 Quart Bags) - Simply tear off the top then reseal the easy to close resealable bag over and over until you are ready to re-order soil.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not 100% happy with this product, we will refund you in full.