Traditional Japanese Bonsai Soil Mix - Premium Blend
SuperFly Bonsai's Traditional Japanese Bonsai Soil Mix - Premium Blend
This mix is a common mix found in Japan. We used 100% Japanese imported components to make a bonsai soil as close to what you would find in Japan as possible at a price that is reasonable.
Is It Dirt?
No. Bonsai trees do not like "dirt" and will in most cases die if left in dirt over long periods of time. This is substrate.
What Is In It?
The primary components are Kiryu, Akadama, Pumice and Black Lava. We also added a bit of Horticultural Charcoal. These components have been found over time to provide the best drainage, water retention, nutrient retention and air circulation possible to promote healthy bonsai.
- 1/3 Japanese Kiryu - is a very hard substrate that absorbed some water. Kiryu does not break down and assists in drainage.
- 1/3 Japanese Hard Akadama - is a clay like component that is excellent at retaining water and it breaks down allowing roots to grown in it's place.
- 1/3 Japanese Hyuga Pumice - is a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining water and nutrients.
How Do I Use It?
This is "real" bonsai soil. Be sure your bonsai pot has holes in the bottom covered by bonsai mesh.
Each micro climate may require different amounts of water. On hot days you may need to water two times while around freezing you may need to water every few weeks. Push your finger 1" into the soil and feel for moisture. If it is dry, it is time to water. This soil will also turn from dark brown to light brown when dry.
1.25 Qt = @ 6 Cups
- Pre Mixed & Ready To Use - Sifted Prior To Bagging - 1/3 Japanese Kiryu - 1/3 Hard Japanese Akadama - 1/3 Japanese Hyuga Pumice
- Promotes Excellent Drainage & Water Retention
- Non-Organic Mix - This mix is "real" bonsai soil and is made up of primarily non-organic components (no dirt, bark, mulch, etc.). This is really substrate. This has been found to provide optimal drainage, water retention, nutrient uptake and air to the roots (which they love).
- Easy Zip Resealable Bag - Simply tear off the top then reseal the easy to close resealable bag over and over until you are ready to re-order soil.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not 100% happy with this product, we will refund you in full.